Windows 7 (x64) Updates Failure – April 2011

Failure Configuring Windows UpdateDuring the last week of April, Microsoft released four updates for Windows 7 x64. They rolled in like normal. I selected all of them and let them do their thing when I was planning a reboot, assuming they would want one. They did. They performed some “configuration” prior to shutdown displaying some text prompting me to this effect. And, when restarting, Windows paused again, running more “configuration” against the new updates. After a few seconds, I was prompted with, “Failure Configuring Windows Update… Reverting Changes. Do not Turn off the Computer.”

Of course, when the machine came back up, I logged in and the same updates were there, wanting to get applied. I tried again. Fail. I tried one by one. Fail.

The update packages in question are:

• KB2515325
  • KB2522422
  • KB2492386
  • KB982018

All four of them will just keep repeating the installation, posting identical entries in the Event Viewer-> Windows Logs->Setup

You might see something similar to:

• Package KB2515325 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800705b4.
  • Package KB2522422 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800705b4.
  • Package KB2492386 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800705b4.
  • Package KB982018 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800705b4.

The System Log entries are:

• Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2515325).
  • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2522422).
  • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2492386).
  • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB982018).

Again, manual updates failed, so I looked for all of them in the ‘Microsoft Download Center’ and was able to download a self-contained (*.msu) update for each one. Using these, I was then able to install each, individually, in order, rebooting after those that prompted me to. After a few reboots, all was well and Windows Update no longer showed any required/optional system updates. I can only think that the update cache or downloaded updates were corrupted or being installed as a batch where one might have had dependencies on the other. . . Not sure.

Downloading the MSU and installing each manually will correct the issue. Here are the links for the four updates in question:

I’m sure there are other fixes out there, maybe deleting the contents of the update repository (c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution), etc., but the above worked well for me. Hope this is some help to you also — for those that might have found their way here.

This entry was posted in Computer, Internet, Ramblings and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , .

10 Comments

1. Greg May 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

Thanks heaps for posting this – worked a treat! This was the first time I have encountered a windows update problem with win7 and everything else I found when searching seemed to point me in the wrong direction.

2. Dave May 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Thanks… Glad you found the post so quickly. Like you, I seemed to find nothing but a lot of unnecessary and sometimes dangerous “suggestions” for correcting the problem out there.

As always, the K.I.S.S. method ended up working well and was by far the safest fix.

3. Greg May 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

I had those 4 and also another update for visual studio 10 express which was failing, but the VS10E update worked fine after manually applying VS10 SP1 (which didn’t seem to come through windows update) – in case that’s helpful to anyone else.

4. Dave May 3, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Thanks for pointing out that one of the links was incorrect. I went through them again and they all point to the proper update packages now. Appreciate you making me aware of the problem.

5. Christopher May 3, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

Hi Dave,
    Just wanted to thank you from down here in New Zealand. I had this issue on both PC’s at home (home office and children’s); then my mother rang with the same issue.
    I found heaps of people had the same problem, and MS had offered no solutions. Other solutions were offered on the Web, and I actually got KB982018 loaded (& configured!) before I found your method. Of course, having sorted the other PC I tried it on my ‘main’ PC ….but to no avail until I stumbled upon your site as one of those Goggled! Such a simple, and well explained solution AND … it WORKED :-) ! So, many thanks form me, and I’m sure, from many others (pity MS couldn’t put this on their site and just save us all the hassle (that is if they must cause such troubles int he first place).
    On another note, very interested to read of your background, interest and expertise in photography / video and related s/w. Like your site header HDR photos too. Any thoughts about doing some ‘Ramblings’ in these subject areas?
    Well, thanks so much anyway.
    Regards,
    Christopher

6. Linda May 8, 2011 at 8:51 am #

I have tried installing things one at a time. But KB 2515325 will not complete. Gets to 67% configuring stops and reverts. Any ideas? I am Very computer illiterate and do not understand most of what all these sites are telling me to do.

7. Chris May 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

Thanks for this, seems to work great. The 5 minute delay on each startup was starting to get on my nerves…

8. CJ May 10, 2011 at 4:05 am #

Hi Dave,

thanks for the info but unfortunately didn’t work for me :-(

Going to contact Microsoft Support and see if there’s another fix I can try – will re-post here if I am successful!#

CJ

9. Asa Cusack May 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

Thanks for this, Dave. That’s been getting on my nerves for the past couple of weeks. I thought it was related to some other program I’d installed until I checked the date on which it all started to go wrong.

I installed them one-by-one in the order listed with reboots in-between (even when not demanded). I have a hunch the conflict might be between the first and last, however, as they seem to be more significant changes.

10. Sandra May 22, 2011 at 7:58 am #

I have the same problem as Linda … just KB2515325 will not install.. followed your instructions manually but same thing – craps out during the configuration. The update is for an instability in IE – stupid thing is I don’t even use IE lol… but it would be nice to get this resolved.